Saw this on TV yesterday (yes, that’s right in the UK we get the Halloween special a week late 🙁 ) Anyway, it made me chuckle. So I thought I would share it. However, I better add a disclaimer first. The views expressed here are entirely my own and not those of my employer.
What did the web look like 10 years ago to you? Well I was in my final year at university and was developing a new website for the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. This was my first attempt at doing anything HTML related (along with a few other technologies of the time such as server side includes and CGI-BIN). It was very basic by today’s standards. Anyway I was randomly browsing the web earlier and actually came across some of my original pages still being served up by the web server’s at NTU, complete with the original comments embedded within the HTML source 🙂
So this is what the web looked like for me 10 years ago.
<!-- nic bedford 09/12/1997 -->
I’ve done a little more work on my System Restore point explorer, and it now actually allows you to explore 🙂
I’ve made use of the excellent AlphaVSS library which exposes the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) API’s as native .net objects. I’ve been having a few issues accessing these in Vista x64, but I have tested this in Vista x86 and it appears to be working ok. Again feedback is welcome via comments.
A couple of days ago my C: drive ran out of disk space and I was a little confused, because only a few days earlier I had around 30GB free, so I decided to do some digging and figure out where it had all gone…
Anyway to my surprise it had been consumed by Vista’s System Restore feature, I had installed a couple of applications, decided they weren’t for me and un-installed them. Each of these actions had created a new system restore point. After figuring out how to get access to the “C:System Volume Information” folder (I don’t really recommend you do this) I saw that some of these system restore points were up to 3GB each in size, but I couldn’t find any way to delete them.
I googled a little and some people seemed to suggest that the Disk Cleanup Wizard would remove them, but it didn’t work for me, in fact the only way I reclaimed over 40GB of disk space was to disable (which does remove the data) and then re-enable system restore.
But what I really wanted was a way to delete individual restore points and I couldn’t find anything already out there, so I set about developing a solution myself.
The more I researched the more advanced I thougt I could make this tool, so currently it does what I first wanted, allows you to delete individual restore points. But I plan to add functionality that will allow you to mount a restore point and browse it’s contents (hence it’s name System Restore Explorer)
It’s not really ready for public consumption yet, but I am planning to upload a beta copy here tomorrow, and hopefully I can get some feedback
Well, as promised here is a beta for people to play with, use this at your own risk, if it happens to trash your entire computer it’s not my fault! This program requires .net framework 3.5 and has been tested on Vista only.
Well Sunday was a lovely day here, the sun was really strong and we had to get all dressed up to go to our friends wedding. We had a great day and hopefully the bride and groom did too 🙂 Here are a few photo’s I took during the day, I have gigabytes more to go through 🙁 But as today saw the final release of Adobe Lightroom 2 (and it comes in a native 64 bit version), I will be able to make good use of my 30 day trial period processing the rest of my photo’s.
Well I have just gotten back from another years camping trip with my university buddies. We have been camping every year since graduation (that’s 10 years now!). Here’s a few pictures from the weekend.
I recently bought some more memory for my laptop, mainly ‘just because’. I mean there was nothing really wrong with 2GB, but memory is so cheap at the moment…
Anyway, after removing the panel on the bottom of the laptop and removing the old memory, I inserted the new 2GB SO-DIMM’s and now I have 4GB, or do I?
I already had an idea from reading around I had done and also the experience of my boss, that I was only going to be able to see 3GB of RAM, however to my surprise Vista SP1 reported that I had 4GB 🙂 This is a new useless feature of SP1, however it can still only use 3GB 🙁
So I have taken the plunge and installed Vista x64, so far so good, but why oh why are there 2 ‘Program Files’. I mean I understand the reason behind this, but there just seems to be a random mismatch of both x86 and x64 binaries in both folders 🙁 So they might as well all be in one place in my opinion.
So now I better see if I can build some x64 native binaries 😉
WordPress 2.5 was released yesterday, so I decided to upgrade (it has a newer version number) everything appeared to go smoothly until I tried to login to the admin page 🙁
<strong>Fatal error:</strong> Call to undefined function: wp_register_sidebar_widget() in /.../.../.../wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php on line 31
Anyway a quick google later and it appeared the best solution might be to upgrade K2 to the latest nightly build also 😀
So far everything seems to be working again and i’m liking the updates to WordPress